This section provides information on workplace skills training and career development opportunities. Also, visit our Education section for post-secondary education options. At any time, contact the Career Information Hotline.
The following training programs are currently accessible but are subject to change based on available community, industry or government funding, priorities and resources.
- Medicine Hat College and Cypress College
- Academy of Learning (Medicine Hat) offers training in job search and resume writing, job placement assistance to graduates, and training in Thought Patterns for a Successful Career.
- Working in Alberta – Transferring Credentials outlines how to get your credentials assessed and transferred within or from outside Canada to meet occupational regulations.
- Big Country Community Adult Learning Association (Oyen) is a resource for career, education and employment information.
- Work Foundations provides basic skills training and academic upgrading to enable primarily low income clients to substantially improve their situation.
- Training for Work provides occupationally-focused training opportunities to enable clients to get a job, substantially improve their employment situation or adapt to changing labour conditions and skill requirements in order to sustain employment. The areas covered include:
- Aboriginal Training Programs
- Alberta Job Corps (AJC)
- Disability Related Employment Supports (DRES)
- Occupational, Integrated and Workplace Training Self-Employment Program
- Transitional Vocational Program
- Workforce Partnerships ensure working Albertans continue to enhance their skills in order to contribute to Alberta’s economic growth or to respond to skills shortages through industry and community partnerships.
- Financial Support for Training
- Helmets to Hardhats provides Canadian military veterans and serving reservists with opportunities for apprenticeship training and/or rewarding careers, with excellent wages and benefits, in Canada’s unionized building, construction and maintenance industries.
- Base to Business is a Workforce Attraction and Retention Partnership that helps employers attract, recruit and retain good candidates coming out of the Canadian Armed Forces.
- Trade Secrets is Alberta’s Apprenticeship and Industry training system that is driven by a partnership between industry and government.
- Connections Career & Safety Services provides training in the area of Oil and Gas Class 1 Transportation, Oilfield Worker, and Safety Training.
- Absolute Safety Management (Brooks) provides workplace health and safety training and job placement services for those aspiring to become employed in industrial settings such as Oil and Gas and Construction.
The Canada Alberta Job Grant is an employer-driven training program, whereby employers decide on who gets training and what type of training may be needed for new and existing employees.
The Medicine Hat and District Chamber of Commerce’s Policy and Advocacy Committee is acting as a lobbyist trying to reduce the qualification criteria for existing training programs. This includes supporting a literacy policy to enable literacy training to decrease the barriers to employment. .
For Career or Workplace Planning, see our Inform section.