The Palliser region benefits from a youthful, educated population that is willing and able to contribute to the workforce.
Labour Highlights (2017)
Alberta Economic Region – Lethbridge/Medicine Hat*
|Working Age Population (#)||229,800|
|Labour Force (#)||152,800|
|Unemployment Rate (%)||5.7%|
|Participation Rate (%)||66.5%|
|Top Industries – Total Employment||Health Care and Social Assistance
|Top Industries – YOY Employment Growth||Forestry, Fishing, Mining, Quarrying,
and Oil and Gas
|Average Hourly Wage||$24.15|
|Job Vacancy Rate||2.1%|
* The Alberta Economic Region of Lethbridge/Medicine Hat, as defined by the Province of Alberta, represents a portion of the municipalities within the boundary of the Palliser Economic Region including its largest center, The City of Medicine Hat. As such, the data is representative only.
Sources: Data extracted from recent labour reports outlined below.
- Review monthly and annual Labour Force Statistics* on unemployment rate and workforce changes.
- Labour Market Reviews* including both provincial and regional information. Specifically, see the Alberta Regional Occupational Demand Outlook* for highlights on 140 occupations and how they are expected to grow over a five-year period
- The Wage and Salary Survey* is a comparison of wages for occupations in the Palliser region. The most recent survey (2015) indicates that the average hourly wage for the Palliser region is just over $24/hour, with variations ranging from $12/hour to $46/hour.
- The Government of Alberta provides print and electronic resources to help you make career, education and work decisions. Also visit your local Alberta Work Centre.