Under the Canada Health Act, Alberta has a publicly administered and funded health care system that guarantees Albertans receive universal access to medically necessary hospital and health care services.
All eligible Alberta residents are covered under the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) to access healthcare services. An eligible resident of Alberta is a person who is:
- Legally entitled to be or to remain in Canada and makes his/her permanent home in Alberta;
- Committed to being physically present in Alberta for at least 183 days in a 12 month period;
- Not claiming residency or obtaining benefits under a claim of residency in another province, territory or country;
- Any other person deemed by the regulations to be a resident not including a tourist, transient or visitor to Alberta.
Effective January 1, 2009, Albertans are no longer required to pay AHCIP premiums.
An Alberta Health Care card gives you access to the public health care system including medical checkups and hospital visits. Private clinics exist, but are permitted to perform only elective services not included as part of the primary care available through our health care system.
Alberta Health Services provides a patient-focused, quality health system that is accessible and sustainable for all Albertans.
Health care services for Special Areas No. 2 is available in Hanna..
The Hanna Health Centre encompasses Acute Care, Continuing Care, 24-hour Emergency, Community Care, Public Health and other related services. The facility accommodates minor surgical procedures, medical, obstetrics for low risk mothers and babies, and palliative care.
Hanna Health Centre
904 Centre Street N
The Hanna Community also boasts a medical clinic, optometrist, denturist, chiropractor, 2 dentists and registered massage therapists.
Hanna Medical Clinic
104 Fox Lake Trail E
Health care services within Special Areas No. 2 consists of:
- Early prevention dental services
- Outpatient/inpatient respiratory services
- Speech therapist/audiologist
- Recreation therapist
- Health inspector
- Occupational therapy
- Mental health worker
- Massage therapist
- Home Care
A senior’s lodge is located in Hanna.
17 501 – 5 Street West
Hanna, Alberta T0J 1P0
For more information
- Alberta Health Care Insurance - The Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) is a publicly administered and funded health care system that guarantees Albertans receive universal access to medically necessary hospital and medical services. AHCIP forms, information on premium and drug assistance, answers to common questions and more are available at this site.
- Alberta Health and Wellness – Alberta’s Health and Wellness provides information about Alberta’s health care system including the forms needed for registration.
- Service Alberta – The Health Care Professional section of this Service Alberta site provides information for the wide variety of health professionals in Alberta – doctors, nurses, ambulance operators, and many others who provide services for the maintenance and improvement of health. Use this page to learn about Alberta Netcare, to look up Health Professionals, to find contact information for nursing homes and hospitals in Alberta, and much, much more.
- Alberta Health Services – Alberta Health Services provides a patient-focused, quality health system that is accessible and sustainable for all Albertans. Use this site to access information about specific health care facilities and to get the latest news relating to health care.
- Health Canada – The Health Canada site focuses on providing immigrants with information about health care coverage. It also contains good links to other helpful information on employment, health promotion, and more.