Under the Canada Health Act, Alberta has a publicly administered and funded health care system that guarantees Albertans receive universal access to medically necessary hospital and health care services.
All eligible Alberta residents are covered under the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) to access healthcare services. An eligible resident of Alberta is a person who is:
- Legally entitled to be or to remain in Canada and makes his/her permanent home in Alberta;
- Committed to being physically present in Alberta for at least 183 days in a 12 month period;
- Not claiming residency or obtaining benefits under a claim of residency in another province, territory or country;
- Any other person deemed by the regulations to be a resident not including a tourist, transient or visitor to Alberta.
Effective January 1, 2009, Albertans are no longer required to pay AHCIP premiums.
An Alberta Health Care card gives you access to the public health care system including medical checkups and hospital visits. Private clinics exist, but are permitted to perform only elective services not included as part of the primary care available through our health care system.
Alberta Health Services provides a patient-focused, quality health system that is accessible and sustainable for all Albertans.
Medicine Hat Regional Hospital provides hospital services to Redcliff residents. The hospital is an acute care facility, which also includes supportive rehab/transition beds. Core programs at the regional facility include surgical services, mental health, critical care, pediatrics, 24-hour emergency, ambulatory care, neonatal, intensive care (Level 2), geriatric services, community health, home care, x-ray and lab.
Medicine Hat Regional Hospital
666 5 Street SW
Medicine Hat, Alberta T1A 4H6
Redcliff has 1 medical clinic and 1 dental clinic. The medical clinic is a branch of the Medicine Hat Medical Arts Centre.
The health unit is part of Alberta Health Services. There is no public health clinic in Redcliff, but an office is maintained for seniors at the Senior Citizen Centre.
There are several nursing homes in Medicine Hat that are operated by the Cypress View Foundation. The Foundation also operates a seniors manor in Medicine Hat.
For more information:
- Alberta Health Care Insurance - The Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) is a publicly administered and funded health care system that guarantees Albertans receive universal access to medically necessary hospital and medical services. AHCIP forms, information on premium and drug assistance, answers to common questions and more are available at this site.
- Alberta Health and Wellness – Alberta’s Health and Wellness provides information about Alberta’s health care system including the forms needed for registration.
- Service Alberta – The Health Care Professional section of this Service Alberta site provides information for the wide variety of health professionals in Alberta – doctors, nurses, ambulance operators, and many others who provide services for the maintenance and improvement of health. Use this page to learn about Alberta Netcare, to look up Health Professionals, to find contact information for nursing homes and hospitals in Alberta, and much, much more.
- Alberta Health Services – Alberta Health Services provides a patient-focused, quality health system that is accessible and sustainable for all Albertans. Use this site to access information about specific health care facilities and to get the latest news relating to health care.
- Health Canada – The Health Canada site focuses on providing immigrants with information about health care coverage. It also contains good links to other helpful information on employment, health promotion, and more.
back to top