Under the Canada Health Act, Alberta has a publicly administered and funded health care system that guarantees Albertans receive universal access to medically necessary hospital and health care services.
All eligible Alberta residents are covered under the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) to access healthcare services. An eligible resident of Alberta is a person who is:
- Legally entitled to be or to remain in Canada and makes his/her permanent home in Alberta;
- Committed to being physically present in Alberta for at least 183 days in a 12 month period;
- Not claiming residency or obtaining benefits under a claim of residency in another province, territory or country;
- Any other person deemed by the regulations to be a resident not including a tourist, transient or visitor to Alberta.
Effective January 1, 2009, Albertans are no longer required to pay AHCIP premiums.
An Alberta Health Care card gives you access to the public health care system including medical checkups and hospital visits. Private clinics exist, but are permitted to perform only elective services not included as part of the primary care available through our health care system.
Alberta Health Services provides a patient-focused, quality health system that is accessible and sustainable for all Albertans.
Youngstown is located between Hanna and Oyen both being about 35 minutes from Youngstown giving residents a choice of medical services. A doctor visits Youngstown Wednesday mornings. Dial 911 for emergencies in Youngstown.
The Hanna Health Centre encompasses Acute Care, Continuing Care, 24-hour Emergency, Community Care, Public Health, and other related services. The facility accommodates minor surgical procedures, medical, obstetrics for low risk mothers and babies, and palliative care.
Hanna Health Centre
904 Centre Street North
Hanna, Alberta T0J 1P0
Tel: 403- 854-3331
The Hanna Community also boasts a medical clinic, optometrist, denturist, chiropractor, 2 dentists and registered massage therapists.
Hanna Medical Clinic
104 Fox Lake Trail East
Tel: 403- 854-3351
Other services available in Hanna include:
- Dialysis Unit
- Public Health Services (Health Unit), including Public Health Nursing, Dental Health Services, Community Care (Home Care), and Speech-Language Pathology.
- Mental Health Clinic
- Physical Therapy
- Laboratory Services
- Diagnostic Imaging
- Nutrition Services